Thursday, July 24, 2008

more window

Today I put in the small window that will go above our headboard on the south dormer wall of our bedroom. Having had a great refresher course in window install Tuesday, it went relatively smoothly.






new window on the left


Actually, not that smoothly. I forgot. I had to reframe the window because it sat too low- too close to the roof decking. So it is now 3 1/2" higher than it was, high enough to get it out of the roofing. And, now that I reflect on it some more, I remember that it looked as if the existing flashing actually goes underneath the sheathing. Which is bad. It actually directs rain to go under the shingles. And this on the rainiest and windiest part of the house, so I'll have to fix that before it rains.











That's the new window on the right.










I also put on the final weatherproofing around the windows installed Tuesday. Exciting times on a hot, sunny day with a spool of shiny plastic tar in your hands.















shiny plastic tar spool





No comments: